Red Cross Waterfront only Module
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE FOR INFORMATION ON
- Course Description
- Pre-course requirements
- Course Dates & Times
- Fees & Class Registration Link
- Facility Locations
American Red Cross Waterfront Course Description
Red Cross Waterfront Module is designed to train pool lifeguards in working non-surf beaches. You will be trained in using mask & fins, searching shallow & deep water areas, and using a rescue board. Training will occur in both pool and waterfront. Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Waterfront Training certificate which is only valid with a current Red Cross Lifeguard Certificate. Participants should provide their own mask and fins if they plan to work at a waterfront.
Anyone taking any American Red Cross Lifeguarding course MUST successfully complete the pre-course requirements.
- MUST POSSESS A CURRENT LIFEGUARDING CERTIFICATION.
- Ability to pass swim 550 yards (22 lengths) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing) using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only the legs (hands under arms)
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed. YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES UNDERWATER (Contact lens wearers be aware of this)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards. Goggles NOT allowed.
Dates & Times
July 16 9:30 pm - 10:30 pm (Pool for pre-course swimming assessment)
10:30 pm - 1:30 pm (Pool)
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (Musante Beach Waterfront)
Waterfront Only: Northampton Residents $125 Non-Residents $135
(Waterfront participant should provide their own mask & fins if their area does deep water search and rescue)
Pre-registration required, as space is limited
POOL: Aquatic & Family Center at JFK Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Florence, MA 01062
(Enter through back of the building, rear glass doors across from the tennis courts)
BEACH WATERFRONT: David B. Musante Beach: 85 Reservoir Road, Leeds, MA 01053
Written Test Will Cover Parts of Chapter 6 in Lifeguarding Manual
Sections 6-4 & 6-5 pages 153-160
Water Rescue Skills pages 190-197
Please review the waterfront skills video below
Call the Parks & Recreation Office, 413-587-1040, if you have any questions